B-Hop not impressed with Froch’s recent comments…
Froch to vacate IBF title: DeGale will get title shot on April 25.
Hopkins and Golovkin options for Froch: WBA champion lining up huge bout in summer.
DeGale will face Dirrell if Froch vacates: Waiting game on Cobra’s decision.
Boxing legend Bernard Hopkins has called out Carl Froch for talking down a possible fight against him in the summer after the Brit said he sees it as a “lose-lose” situation.
Hopkins has insisted that Froch is looking for the “easy way out” after he played down reports that he would fight him, and it is an opinion that is shared by many including those from James DeGale’s camp.
DeGale is set to fight for the vacant IBF title on April 25 after Froch opted not to defend it against his mandatory challenger, while an elbow injury also scuppered plans.
However, Hopkins momentarily emerged as an option for the Cobra, but it doesn’t appear as though he is too interested in the bout despite insisting that he held his rival in very high regard.
“He says it’s a lose-lose situation, but he’s in a lose-lose situation if he fights somebody that we know he can beat,” Hopkins told boxingscene.com.
“I don’t think anybody, at least I think, is picking Chavez to beat Carl Froch. Carl Froch is looking for an easy way out.
“Somebody got in his ear and said: ‘don’t underestimate Bernard, because Bernard is always good at redeeming himself after a loss and coming back strong. I’m going to be dead serious – I called his bluff.”
Hopkins has hinted that he will step down a division after losing his WBA and IBF light-heavyweight titles in a points loss to Sergey Kovalev last year.
The former undisputed middleweight champion claimed Froch’s argument was “so weak” and that if the fight didn’t have any merit, the media would “kill it”. However, he doesn’t believe that is the case and wants to add the Englishman to his list of beaten opponents.