The NRL will re-open its investigation after media reports emerged of the players’ arrest in Arizona last year.
The NRL has announced it will re-open its investigation into the incident involving South Sydney Rabbitohs players John Sutton and Luke Burgess during the club’s pre-season camp in Arizona late last year.
Sutton Rabbitohs: Did South Sydney cover up “disorderly behaviour” in Arizona?
Cherry-Evans Titans: Manly superstar off to the Gold Coast?
Burgess Sydney Roosters: Wigan Warriors star headed for the NRL…
Sutton will captain the Rabbitohs against Queensland Cup side Northern Pride on Saturday despite details emerging of a drunken bar fight in which both he and Burgess were charged.
“The NRL Integrity Unit said today it has re-opened its investigation into an incident involving two South Sydney players in the United States late last year,” an NRL statement read.
“A spokesman said the Integrity Unit had received new information which will be investigated.
“There will be no further comment until the investigation has been completed.”
According to police reports obtained by the Sydney Morning Herald, a security guard has asked Sutton to leave the premises before Burgess initiated a physical altercation.
Burgess reportedly threw the security guard to the floor, leaving him bloodied.
Police were called and both Sutton and Burgess were handcuffed on the side of the road, before being kept overnight at the Coconino County Detention Facility.
Sutton was reportedly abusive towards bar staff and spat on the counter.
Sutton had the captaincy stripped off him just months after leading the Rabbitohs to the 2014 premiership and was replaced by Greg Inglis.
The South Sydney Rabbitohs have been accused of trying to cover up the incident, however the club has denied such accusations.