Get all of the latest information and watch every second of the game here live.
When: Saturday July 12, 4.45am (BST)
Watch live: Click here to watch online with AFL Global Pass!
Melbourne found out what it’s like to take on a top four side after going down by 63 points to Fremantle last week, and it faces a similar task this week against Geelong.
Geelong is coming off the back of a hard-fought win in tough conditions against the Western Bulldogs last Sunday, but will see this match as an opportunity to increase its top four chances.
The Demons will be boosted by the news of key defender Tom McDonald’s re-signing on Thursday, and also welcome back small defender Neville Jetta into the squad.
Melbourne last beat Geelong way back in 2006, and although the Demons have shown huge improvement under the guise of premiership-winning coach Paul Roos, it’s hard to see anything other than a Geelong win here.
1. Geelong has been dominant against Melbourne over the past decade, winning 11 of 15 contests since 2004. The Cats have won the last nine contests against the Demons by an average winning margin of 71 points.
2. Melbourne last defeated Geelong in round six, 2006. Since then the Demons have had seven senior coaches including the incumbent Paul Roos.
3. Don’t expect the teams to win the ball out of the centre square with any regularity on Saturday. Melbourne is ranked last for centre clearances (averaging 9.8 per game), while Geelong does not fare much better, ranked 16th (11.1).
4. Geelong is second in the competition for marks inside 50 (203). In contrast, the Demons are placed 17th (133).
5. In total, the teams have clashed 210 times with Geelong holding a clear advantage, winning 125 games to the Demons’ 83 (with two draws).
6. Geelong’s Steve Johnson has averaged 36 disposals in his last three games against Melbourne, while Demon (and former Crow) Bernie Vince has averaged 28 disposals and has six goals from his last five games against the Cats. Johnson is 14th overall in the Official AFL Player Ratings, while Vince is ranked 172.