Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn says she is “disappointed” by the outcome of Giedo van der Garde‘s court case, saying the safety risks are just too great.
Formula 1: Shock! Giedo van der Garde wins court case against Sauber, will drive at Australian Grand Prix
McLaren-Honda rule Fernando Alonso out of Australian Grand Prix
F1 World Champion Lewis Hamilton seeking record breaking £1m per-week deal
The Victorian Supreme Court ruled that the Dutchman had a valid contract to race for Sauber in 2015, backing the decision made by a Swiss arbitral tribunal last week.
Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson are currently Sauber’s two nominated drivers for the 2015 season.
“We are disappointed with this decision and now need to take time to understand what it means and the impact it will have on the start of our season,” Kaltenborn said in a statement..
“What we cannot do is jeopardise the safety of our team, or any other driver on the track, by having an unprepared driver in a car that has now been tailored to two other assigned drivers.”
Sauber will issue further updates later on Wednesday.