Social media meltdown lands former Raiders fullback in hot water.
The Brisbane Broncos have announced they have ended contract talks with disgraced fullback Josh Dugan, after he suggested a fan should go “end yourself” in a bizarre online rant.
Dugan’s career looked to be back on track despite being sacked by the Canberra Raiders for repeated off-field indiscretions, with the Broncos fronting up serious money to gain the mercurial talent.
Brisbane was reportedly set to offer Dugan a three-year deal worth close to $2 million, which could have given the Broncos an X-factor about them just a few weeks into the season.
However, after Dugan’s rant at several antagonising fans on social media photo-sharing app Instagram, Brisbane have cut all ties with the 22-year-old.
“We will not be making any attempt to register a contract for Josh Dugan with the NRL,” said Broncos’ chief executive Paul White said.
“While there were some negotiations, they are now over.
“In light of some fresh allegations of inappropriate behaviour, the Broncos have decided not to take the matter any further.”
After posting a picture of himself with a friend shirtless on Saturday night, Canberra fans goaded Dugan and criticised him about his departure from the club.
Eventually, the one-time NSW star hit back, with the following comments, directed at different people, having their expletives removed.
“I’d hate to be ya nuffie. At least my dog doesn’t speak up like you ya loud mouth … who are ya by the way? I could never play another game of NRL and I’ve still accomplished more than you,” Dugan said.
“haha righto Marky Mark: go get another Raiders Tattoo then end yourself. Your mrs is hot too by the way haha you obviously don’t read the news more the fool you haha your a joke.
“All my tats put together are better than your one rubbish one plus your bad head. Should call you don bradman ya batting well above average with her. Send her my way ill show her the time of her life.”
Dugan has since deleted the comments and apologised on Twitter.
“2 sides to every story and only the bad side of my story has been told over the last few weeks. Yes I stuffed up and yes I’m paying my price but people go on and on about bullying when I am constantly being harassed for simply putting a photo up.
“I apologise to those who I had bad words with but I am a normal person like anyone else.
“Media can write what they want but have not spoken to me personally or seen the abuse I have copped.
“Life goes on and I’m trying to move forward with my life and career.”
The news puts other clubs back in the frame to sign Dugan with St George Illawarra previously expressing an interest before pulling out when the size of the Broncos’ offer became obvious.