St. Kilda may bring the 24-year-old back to the club once his ban is served.
Ahmed Saad is back on St. Kilda’s radar after coach Alan Richardson hinted the club may consider re-drafting the banned player.
Saad was hit with an 18-month suspension last November for taking a banned protein powder and delisted by the Saints.
The 24-year-old’s ban was backdated to August 2013, meaning he would be eligible to play AFL football in February 2015.
Richardson said that despite the difficulties of the time frame in which Saad can start training the the Saints, the club was still open to re-drafting the forward.
“We think that Ahmed potentially has a bit to offer,” Richardson said on Thursday.
“He played some good footy for us, albeit a while ago now, but he has the attributes if he can get back in shape.
“It’s a bit of a challenge for him given that he’s been away from an AFL environment.
“It’s a tricky situation because he won’t be able to work with us physically in our program until after the draft so that’s going to be a bit of a challenge.
“He’ll have to make sure he works really hard on his own to get himself to the standard required for AFL footy, but that will be up to Ahmed.”
Richardson confirmed that the club had been in contact with Saad, but were mindful of the fact that they weren’t allowed to work with him until the ban was up.
“There’s been a little bit of dialogue, we’re not allowed to work with Ahmed at all,” he said.
“The conversations have more been from a welfare perspective to see how he’s tracking and support him in that area.”