The youngster has re-signed at the Demons for two seasons despite interest from rival clubs.
Melbourne have locked in key defender Tom McDonald for two seasons, the AFL club announced on Thursday.
The 21-year-old was out of contract at the end of the season and it is understood a number of clubs were interested, but McDonald says he decided to stay put in the hope the players stick together and push for finals.
“I think there’s not many left to sign up for this year and hopefully we’ll get (James) Frawley over the line, I would love him to be part of the club going forward,” McDonald told the club’s website.
“It’s good to have all these guys that hopefully stick together for the next four or five years at least and really push towards finals and that sort of thing.”
McDonald has established himself as one of the AFL’s best young defenders, and he said that re-signing at the club was a simple decision.
“Honestly now I can say that I can see that we’re going in a good, positive path [and] this time last year I probably couldn’t have said that,” McDonald said.
“There was a lot of negativity around the club and we’d struggled [but] even though we’re not winning a lot of games this year I can really see the path we’re going on.
“It gives me hope for the future and even hope for the immediate future that we can keep building and have a good finish to the year in the last seven rounds.”
Melbourne currently sit 16th on the AFL ladder and face the high-flying Geelong at the MCG on Saturday.