Pac-Man makes claim to Manilla Standard…
Pacquiao-Mayweather agree on venue and drug-testing: (Report) LA Times claim talks progressing.
Roach says Pacquiao-Mayweather close: Trainer believes fight could actually be made.
Arum says there is movement in Mayweather-Pacquiao talks: Promoter says still long way to go.
Manny Pacquiao has revealed that he is confident that an announcement will be made before the end of January regarding his long-awaited fight with Floyd Mayweather.
The fight is expected to be worth at least $300m (£197m) and according to the LA Times on Sunday, both the venue and the drug-testing plan have already been agreed upon.
While a date has not yet been set, Mayweather called out Pacquiao last month to fight him on May 2, and with Bob Arum and Freddie Roach revealing that there has been progress in talks, the fight that boxing fans have been waiting for for years may finally be getting closer to being announced.
“We will make an announcement before the end of the month. I think it will happen,” Pacquiao is quoted as saying by the Manilla Standard.
Mayweather has caused controversy by calling out his long-time rival to fight him on May 2, the Saturday closest to the Cinco de Mayo holiday, with Miguel Cotto and Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez expected to go to war on the same night.
While that would be one of the biggest fights in the history of the Puerto Rico-Mexico rivalry, it would also be a shame for fight fans to have to miss out on one in order to watch the other.
Nevertheless, there is still likely a long way to go before the Mayweather and Pacquiao camps agree on all terms, with the purse split yet to be determined.
Pacquiao has insisted previously that he would be willing to take a smaller cut in order to make the fight happen, while there is also the network situation with Showtime and HBO likely to have to agree to jointly air the bout much like they did for the heavyweight title clash between Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis in 2002.