LA Times reports venue and drug-testing plan agreed on…
Roach says Mayweather-Pacquiao is “very close”: Trainer believes progress is being made.
Pacquiao not impressed by Mayweather wealth: (Photo) Pac-Man responds with subtle dig.
Arum says there is movement in Mayweather-Pacquiao talks: Promoter positive about progress.
Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao have reportedly agreed on the venue for their mega-fight later this year as the two parties continue to make progress in talks.
“We’re making progress”, a boxing authority involved in the talks, told the Los Angeles Times.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because no one is authorised to publicly discuss the negotiations as rumours continue to spread that the two fighters are edging closer to an agreement on a bout later this year.
Mayweather (47-0) called out Pacquiao last month and set May 2 as the date for the pair to finally meet in the ring, while Pacquiao has since accepted the challenge and insisted that he is ready to make it happen.
However, naturally there has been a significant amount of scepticism from boxing fans given that the fight has not happened for various reasons over the last five years, but there is a different mood surrounding it this time round.
The LA Times have reported the two fighters have agreed to stage the fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, and that they have agreed to a drug-testing plan.
A date remains uncertain but it is likely to be in either May or June while there has not yet been a final agreement on the purse split with reports that Mayweather wanted a 60-40 split in his favour.
In addition, the cable networks will also have to come to an agreement with Mayweather under contract on Showtime while Pacquiao is with HBO. It is believed that the networks are pushing for a joint-deal to both televise the bout, much like they did back in 2002 for the heavyweight title fight between Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis.