Te’o says he expected to be a first round pick.
Former Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o will begin life in the NFL with the San Diego Chargers, after being picked in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft on Friday.
The 22-year-old was chosen sixth in the second round by the Chargers, drawing a loud roar from the fans in attendance at the Radio City Music Hall.
Having led the Fighting Irish to the national championship game, Te’o had been projected as a first round pick by several analysts and experts ahead of the Draft.
However, his poor performance against Alabama coupled with a disappointing showing at the Scouting Combine ensured he fell into the second round.
His off-the-field controversy also led many to believe that several teams were deterred from making a move as his stock dropped, but he will be delighted to have finally have his future secured with the Chargers.
“It definitely put a huge fire under my butt to be better. All it did was give me more motivation to get better,” he said after receiving the phone call, as reported by NFL.com.
The Chargers traded up with Arizona to grab Te’o, and despite the negative aspects in the build-up to the Draft, believe they have seen enough in him to warrant their selection.