Report on Monday suggested Rondo wanted out of Boston…
Despite reports earlier this week suggesting otherwise, it is now claimed that Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo wants to start the new season with the franchise.
Earlier this week, there was speculation that the 28-year-old had told the Celtics that he wanted out and for them to trade him, but that has now been denied by both the organisation and Rondo’s camp.
The point guard has been linked with an exit all year, particularly ahead of the February trade deadline, but ultimately there were no deals on the table that the Celtics were happy with.
Rondo becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer, and it is thought that if he is not willing to commit his future to Boston, then general manager Danny Ainge will look to find the best possible deal in order to avoid losing him for nothing.
“Multiple league sources have repeatedly said that Rondo wants to start the season in Boston and see where things go from there. A similar sentiment has trickled out of Celtics camp, as well,” CSNNE.com reports.
“Rondo is hopeful that the team Danny Ainge is assembling around him is better than most anticipate, that they can be this season’s feel-good story not only in the East but throughout the NBA.”
It remains to be seen whether or not the Celtics can compete next season, but along with Rondo returning to an elite level as well as a leader of this team, he will require the likes of Jeff Green and Kelly Olynyk to step up and become difference makers.
Nevertheless, if Rondo does enough to prove that he is one of the best point guards in the league after recovering from his ACL injury, then it will inevitably build interest from teams around the league and he could yet secure a trade elsewhere.
The situation is likely to go back-and-forth in the coming months, but the one thing that is certain is that the speculation surrounding Rondo’s future will not go away.