Club owner De Laurentiis is confident club can deal with possible exit.
Napoli will still be able to grow and compete at the top level even if Edinson Cavani leaves this summer, says owner Aurelio De Laurentiis.
Speculation continues to link the Uruguayan with a switch to either Real Madrid or Manchester City this summer despite having signed a new deal last year.
The club inserted a €63m release fee into his contract, and it is believed that they will not sell for anything less.
Few clubs around Europe would be able to afford the striker’s services, but reports suggest that it has failed to deter the likes of Madrid and City.
The 26-year-old has scored 69 goals in 96 league games for the club, but De Laurentiis is adamant that they will continue to develop without him.
“If Cavani decides to leave then the clause will be activated,” he told Radio Marte on Tuesday, as reported by Football-Italia.
“If it was up to me he would stay here for the rest of his career. But if he receives an intriguing offer from a decorated club then he will be free to decide.
“If he does leave, Napoli will continue to move forward – just as we did after Ezequiel Lavezzi went to Paris Saint-Germain.”
Should this turn out to be Cavani’s last season in Italy, he will be desperate to help his side close the gap to league leaders Juventus while also pulling away from Milan in third.
The former Palermo striker had suggested that he would like to win the Scudetto before he leaves the club, while that dream slips away he will at least hope to ensure Champions League football for next season.