Rematch is inevitable if there is any hint of controversy in first bout…
Promoter Bob Arum has insisted that if Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao is competitive on May 2, both fighters will want to seek a rematch for later in the year.
Pacquiao looks deadly in training for Mayweather fight: (Images) Pac-Man preparing for biggest bout in boxing.
Mayweather hits back at Khan boring jibe: Khan says fight with Pacquiao is five years too late.
Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight details: Weight limit, titles, tickets pay-per-view and much more.
Arum was blamed for being a significant obstacle in negotiations the first time round, but the fighters eventually agreed on a showdown in May at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas after they met face-to-face for the first time at an NBA game earlier this month.
While there was no rematch clause inserted in the initial contract between the pair because it would have prolonged talks further, Arum is confident that provided they match-up well and it isn’t a one-sided bout, there will be a second crack at Mayweather vs Pacquiao.
“Thinking on the rematch for Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao is that if it’s a competitive fight, both likely will seek another,” Arum said, as reported by Boxing News 24.
Opinion is certainly split on how the fight will go between the two pound-for-pound kings of boxing, with many siding with Mayweather due to his superior counter-punching skills.
Pacquiao will undoubtedly look to cut the ring off and walk his rival down, but while his power and speed will be threats, Mayweather is a master of avoiding shots and landing his own.
Both fighters have declined as the years have gone on, but the unbeaten American is certainly considered the favourite for the bout as he looks to make it 48-0 in his professional career.