United up their bid for world-class Spanish midfielder…
Manchester United have made an improved offer for Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas, confirmed by new manager David Moyes, reports The Telegraph.
They had a £26m bid for the ex-Arsenal man rejected last week, but it is thought this offer is nearer the £30m mark.
“(Executive vice chairman) Ed Woodward is working hard to make deals happen,” Moyes told a press conference in Japan as the club’s pre-season tour continues.
“My understanding is that Ed’s had a response and he spoke with them.”
“I think we made a second offer but Ed is dealing with that personally, rather than me.”
“When you’re interested in good players you want to give it every opportunity to materialise and I’ll do that. I hope things can continue and move forward. At this moment in time I can only tell you that Ed Woodward is working hard trying to make the deals happen. We can only hope that some of them fall into place shortly,” said the Scottish manager.
Whether the new bid is enough to tempt the Catalan giants is unknown, although Barcelona have more pressing matters to deal with due to the sudden resignation of manager Tito Vilanova as a result of his bad health.
Barcelona will no doubt want to keep Fabregas after losing Thiago to Bayern Munich earlier in the summer; and with Xavi turning 34 this year, Fabregas would be expected to play a pivotal role alongside Andres Iniesta.
A large bid may tempt the club though, as they are desperate to sign a world class centre-half following last season’s defensive problems in Europe. A bid of around £35m would cover the cost of bringing in a player like David Luiz or Daniel Agger.
Moyes confirms second offer made for Fabregas
— Neil Custis (@ncustisTheSun) July 22, 2013