Lakers hit back at Cuban, labelling his comments as ‘inappropriate’.
Following Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban’s comments over the future of Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant, the Lakers have criticised his outburst.
While speaking to ESPN Dallas Radio, Cuban questioned whether the Lakers should amnesty Bryant, considering their financial issues going into next season.
However, Lakers spokesman John Black has responded to his comments, calling them ‘inappropriate’.
“We’re aware of Mark Cuban’s comments and feel they are inappropriate. As to the issue itself, we will not comment publicly on the amnesty issue as it relates to any of our players,” he said.
According to Arash Markazi of ESPN LA in the same report, the Lakers will not file a formal complaint to the NBA over Cuban, but the league could choose to fine him after reviewing the interview.
When told of Cuban’s comments, Bryant himself laughed off the claims and stated; “I’ll bet he did.”
Bryant is set to make a staggering $30.45 million in the last year of his contract next season, and with the Lakers’ payroll just over $100 million they will need to trim it in order to avoid paying a big luxury tax bill.
Much will depend on whether they choose to re-sign Dwight Howard, while there is little chance of seeing them amnesty Bryant, not only because of his glittering career with them as enters his final year, but also the fact that he is still producing on the court.
To add further spice to the escalating situation, the Mavericks welcome the Lakers to the American Airlines Center in Dallas on Sunday night.