Zlatan Ibrahimvoc has admitted he could have moved on during the summer…
Chelsea target Zlatan Ibrahimovic has admitted he could have left PSG during a nervous summer, reports Goal.
The 31-year-old Swedish striker has now signed a new contract with the huge spending Parisian club that will keep him in France until 2016, but his future over the summer was not decided.
“I can confirm that this summer my agent spoke with several clubs,” Ibrahimovic told RMC Sport, following PSG’s 1-0 win over Valenciennes on Wednesday.
Jose Mourinho, Chelsea’s returning manager, was desperate to bring in a top quality striker all summer, and was heavily linked with moves for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney and Ibrahimovic himself.
The Blues eventually snapped up Samuel Eto’o, who has failed to register a single goal so far with his new club.
After speaking with PSG’s owners, the giant Swede decided to carry on with the club, despite Edison Cavani’s £56m arrival.
“I spoke with PSG president [Nasser Al-Khelaifi] and, after our conversation, I decided to stay here and we reached a [contract] agreement,” he said.
“I am happy here and I hope that together PSG and I can do something historic.”
Mourinho managed Ibrahimovic during his stint as manager of Inter Milan, and declared that the striker was the best player in the world.
The striker also said in a recent interview that he’d die for the Portuguese coach, so if Chelsea had targeted him aggressively instead of tentatively, Ibrahimovic would probably be playing in the Premier League now.