Miguel Cotto is backing Manny Pacquiao to defeat Floyd Mayweather on May 2, and who better to give an opinion than a man who has shared the ring with both fighters.
Promoter says Khan will fight Mayweather-Pacquiao winner: Will Khan finally get his dream bout?
Roach accuses Haymon of bribing sparring partners: Haymon is paying fighters to stay away from Wild Card.
Tyson picks his winner of Mayweather vs Pacquiao: (Video) Former heavyweight champion breaks fight down.
Cotto also shares a trainer with Pacquiao in Freddie Roach, and he believes that is also a key factor in the Filipino’s favour which gives him an advantage over his American rival.
“After working with Freddie I think he is going to be huge in the fight,” Cotto said, according to Sky Sports.
“I’m going for Manny.”
The Puerto Rican star was knocked down twice by Pacquiao in their gruelling fight back in 2009, while he lost a unanimous points decision to Mayweather in 2011.
Along with the likes of Ricky Hatton and Juan Manuel Marquez, Cotto is certainly in a good position to give his prediction having had to cope with both styles, and he gives the edge to Pacquiao to finally inflict a defeat on Mayweather.
Meanwhile, the 34-year-old was also in the headlines himself this week after it was announced that he had signed with Roc Nation.
Cotto is hoping to defend his WBC middleweight title on June 6, although no fight has been finalised nor has an opponent been announced.
One name that has cropped up consistently is Gennady Golovkin, but Cotto insists that he will take the fight that is best for him at this stage of his career and he concedes that this is the final chapter after becoming the first Puerto Rican fighter to win world titles in four weight classes.
With Canelo Alvarez, a previously rumoured opponent, now facing James Kirkland on May 9, Amir Khan’s name has also been linked with Cotto for the summer.