Manny Pacquiao has hit back at Floyd Mayweather and insisted that the American was the coward after he opted to run during their fight earlier this month.
Groves wishes DeGale good luck: Rival says he can beat Dirrell.
Mayweather wins bet: (Image) Another $827k in the bank for ‘Money’.
DeGale destined to become world champion: (Video) Brit confident he can beat Dirrell.
Pacquaio has returned to the Philippines and has had time to digest what was the richest fight in boxing history at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on May 2.
The 36-year-old suffered a unanimous decision loss to Mayweather, although he argued that he felt as though he had won the fight as he was the more aggressive fighter. While there were few that agreed with him, Pac-Man did have a point.
He has since insisted that he would like a rematch as a shoulder injury prevented him from performing at full strength, and having undergone surgery on a torn rotator cuff, Pacquiao will likely be sidelined for up to nine months before returning to the ring.
Mayweather was seemingly open to the idea initially, but the 38-year-old has since backtracked and labelled Pacquiao a “sore loser” and a “coward” for using his shoulder as an excuse after losing.
It remains to be seen whether or not the pair can start negotiations over a second encounter, with Mayweather going back and forth on whether or not his last scheduled fight in September on his current CBS/Showtime deal will be his last.
However, Pacquiao is certainly stirring the pot and has finally hit back at his rival for his criticism earlier this month.
“Let’s not fan the fire that he’s saying I’m a coward. The one who ran is the coward,” Pacquiao told the Philippine Star, as reported by Boxing Scene.
Pacquiao will now continue with his rehabilitation and hopes to return to the ring next year, although his advisor, Michael Koncz, has questioned whether he will fight again at all considering the impact that the shoulder surgery may have on his career.