Further drama in camp Tomic as John is asked to explain his actions.
The father of Australia’s top-rated tennis player Bernard Tomic could face charges over an incident in Madrid, Tennis Australia said on Monday, amid reports he was involved in an alleged assault.
Todd Woodbridge, the head of men’s tennis for TA, confirmed reports that John Tomic was involved in an incident but said the details were as yet unclear.
“We’re still trying to ascertain if or what charges have been laid,” Woodbridge told local radio, without commenting on Australian reports that Tomic was detained for allegedly striking his son’s hitting partner, Thomas Drouet.
“What’s important for us at Tennis Australia is that this allegation is thrown toward John, his dad, and not to Bernard.”
In a statement, Tennis Australia said the allegations were “very concerning”.
“We are working closely with ATP officials who are investigating the incident and are unable to comment further until the full facts are known,” it said.
Bernard Tomic, currently ranked 49, last year created more headlines off the court than on it, including run-ins with police in his sports car and claims he was not trying hard enough.
The 20-year-old recently was recalled to Australia’s Davis Cup team after captain Patrick Rafter disciplined him for a lack of professionalism following admissions that he gave less than full effort in matches at New York and Shanghai last year.
Tomic won both his singles matches and clinched victory for Australia in their Davis Cup Asia-Oceania Group One second-round tie against Uzbekistan last month.
But he has made a poor start to this year’s European clay court season and in his latest match lost in straight sets to Czech veteran Radek Stepanek in the first round of the Madrid Masters.