Australia coach Darren Lehmann says England’s appointment of Trevor Bayliss as its new head coach will ensure a much tougher challenge for his side in the upcoming Ashes series.
Kevin Pietersen ruled out of England contention despite hitting triple century for Surrey
Jason Gillespie to hold talks with ECB over vacant England coaching role
Steve Waugh: England must move on from Kevin Pietersen
Bayliss was confirmed as the new England coach by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) on Tuesday and the 52-year-old said he was excited about the future of English cricket
“What particularly excites me about the role is the chance to work with a very talented group of players,” Bayliss said in an ECB statement.
“I firmly believe that the team has a bright future and I’ll be doing everything I can to help them realise their potential and achieve success on a consistent basis.”
The Australian lead Sri Lanka to the 2011 World Cup final and number two in the Test rankings and is currently coach of New South Wales where he has won two Sheffield Shield titles.
Bayliss has also had success in the T20 format of the game with the Kolkata Knight Riders in the Indian Premier League and the Sydney Sixers in the Big Bash.
Lehmann admitted Australia’s quest to retain the Ashes had become a much greater challenge following Bayliss’s appointment.
“He did a great job for us when he took the reins in the International T20s against South Africa last year, winning the series 2-1,” Lehmann is quoted as saying by Cricket.com.au.
“A trademark of Trevor’s teams is that they are well prepared and this just serves as another reminder to us that this Ashes will be a tough contest.
“I congratulate him on his appointment and wish him all the best.”
The 2015 Ashes series begins in Cardiff on July 8.