French club’s president confirms they won’t pursue his signature.
Arsenal have a clear path to complete signing of Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye after Paris Saint German pulled out of the race for the France international.
The Ligue 1 champions are long-term suitors of Cabaye and it was rumoured they would attempt to pip the Gunners to his signature after Arsene Wenger saw an initial £10million bid rejected by the Magpies last week and has been told it will take £20m to prise him away from St James’ Park.
It now appears Wenger won’t have any competition in his bid to land the 27-year-old after PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi has revealed the club are no longer interested in bringing him to the Parc des Princes.
“Cabaye? He is a great player and I know Laurent Blanc likes him, but we didn’t make any offer to Newcastle,” he told Metro.
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew confirmed Cabaye won’t feature in Wednesday’s Capital One Cup clash with Morecambe, but is determined to have him back for the visit of Fulham on Saturday.
“He won’t play tonight for sure, then we will see what happens on Saturday,” said Pardew.
“I’ve got no problems in addressing the question but the answer isn’t as simple as a yes or a no.
“The answer is here, he is either going to be sold and we are going to have to replace him in the window we have left, or he is going to say.”