Now that he has lost the fight for reinstatement, Adrian Peterson’s battle against the NFL will be taken to court by the player’s union.
READ MORE:Sacramento fires head coach – Mike Malone out as head coach of Kings Charlotte Lance Stephenson trade – Hornets make star player available for trade Liverpool Steven Gerrard – MLS looking to acquire Liverpool star
The NFL Player’s Association on Monday morning filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court against the league for improper conduct in the handling of the Adrian Peterson one-year suspension case.
NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said on ESPN radio Monday morning that the NFLPA intended to do so.
The main point of contention is the accusation made by Peterson that the league, specifically executive Troy Vincent, promised him that Peterson only would receive a two-game suspension after he pleaded no contest to reckless or negligent injury to a child. During the appeals process, however, Vincent denied saying that. In an audio recording obtained by ABC News, it appears as if Vincent said those words. The NFL, on the other hand, has said that Vincent wasn’t speaking on behalf of the league, and Harold Henderson, who presided over Peterson’s appeal, apparently agreed.
Peterson was suspended by the league last month after his court case for child abuse against his son was resolved. Peterson has been on the Commissioner’s exempt list since September.