RB DeMarco Murray is attacking the NFL record books almost as hard as opposing defenses.
READ MORE:Smith San Francisco 49ers ban – Suspension reduction could be coming for Aldon Smith Wayne Indianapolis Colts elbow injury – Colts star WR getting MRI on elbow NFL sportsman of the year – New award honors classiest player in league
In the 1990s the Dallas Cowboys won three Superbowls in 4 years thanks to the Big Three, a trio of future Hall of Famers that included QB Troy Aikman, WR Michael Irvin, and RB Emmitt Smith. Together the group formed one of the most dominant offenses in league history and had 7 trips to the playoffs in 8 years – including the 3 Superbowl wins.
While the Cowboys current big trio of QB Tony Romo, WR Dez Bryant and RB DeMarco Murray certainly do not have anywhere near the accolades that the former group had, right now there is not a more dominant trio in the entire NFL. The Cowboys have beaten the former Superbowl champions – and not just beating them, but beating them down! – and have the NFL’s best record at 6-1 with 6 consecutive wins. There is still a lot of football to be played before the season ends, but this Cowboys team looks much more legit than the ones that have finished 8-8 in the last few years.
Here are the 5 best teams in the NFL heading into Week 8:
5. Arizona Cardinals – The Cardinals November schedule will be brutal: @ Dallas, vs. St. Louis, vs. Detroit, @ Seattle, and @ Atlanta, so wins now are crucial. The last two wins were against NFL cellar dwellers with Washington and Oakland – how will they fare against the high-octane Eagles offense?
4. Indianapolis Colts – QB Andrew Luck is very quietly marching up to a very early division title win and leads the NFL in most major passing categories. If this team can just learn to play consistently in the running game they may be able to endure the playoffs too.
3. Green Bay Packers – QB Aaron Rodgers is playing some of the best football we’ve seen from him since his epic 2011 season. Outside of the Detroit Lions, there doesn’t seem to be anyone who can stop the Packers, no matter how big the lead against them is.
2. Dallas Cowboys – DeMarco Murray leads the NFL in every major rushing category and is on pace to rush for 2,086 yards, and record over 2,450 yards of total offense. One more dominating performance this season and the NFL record book might be in need of serious revisions.
1. Denver Broncos – Peyton Manning looks as good now as he did when he was tearing through the NFL record book in 2013. Having taken the St. Louis Rams and San Francisco 49ers to task, there is no question they are ready for another Superbowl showdown.