Despite making his first Pro Bowl as a slot receiver in 2014, Emmanuel Sanders is not looking to move up in the depth chart.
Denver Broncos WR Emmanuel Sanders says he expects to remain as Denver’s No. 3 slot receiver in 2015 instead of being moved into the No. 1 or No. 2 role.
In an interview with Broncos reporters on Monday, Sanders said that he was looking forward to continuing working out of the slot even though his production and experience may earn him a promotion to the No. 2 receiver, replacing recently-departed receiver Wes Welker, alongside fellow-Pro Bowl WR Demaryius Thomas.
“I’m very comfortable in doing that because I played in the slot at Pittsburgh and a lot in college so I’m looking forward to that,” Sanders said.
In 2014, his first season with the Denver Broncos, Sanders set career highs with 101 receptions for 1,404 receiving yards – both 5th in the league, along with 9 receiving TDs. Sanders had previously recorded a total of 2,030 receiving yards and 11 TDs in four seasons and 56 games with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
NFL.com reported that 2nd-year receiver Cody Lattimer will move to the No. 2 receiver spot and replace Welker despite playing less than 40 snaps as a rookie last season.
“On my Twitter, I’m vocal about Cody because I believe in Cody,” Sanders said. “Cody is a special player. He has strong hands and is a physical tool. I think this is going to be the year that he jumps onto the scene. I think he’s going to have a big year and I’m happy he’s on my team and in our receiver group.”