Barcelona and Atletico sweep to victory on Wednesday night.
All the latest headlines from the newspapers in Spain as Lionel Messi answers to Cristiano Ronaldo with a hat-trick of his own against Ajax on Wednesday night.
– ‘The leaders strike'; Lionel Messi and Victor Valdes are the heroes for an irregular Barcelona. Hat-trick for the Argentine and Valdes makes some great saves including a late penalty stop against Ajax.
– ‘Return of the great Atleti'; Miranda, Arda and Baptistao seal a brilliant performance with a 3-1 win over Zenit.
– Mourinho’s men shocked at home as Chelsea defeated by Basel at Stamford Bridge.
– Cristiano Ronaldo supersedes Puskas and is already the third highest goal-scorer for Real Madrid in Europe.
– Meanwhile, Iker Casillas injury just a scare as the Spaniard was forced off with a knock to the ribs against Galatasaray on Tuesday night.
– Cristiano Ronaldo overtakes Puskas. The strong Hungarian striker scored 205 goals in 204 games, while the Portuguese star now has 206 in 204.
– Iker Casillas’ injury is only a contusion and he could return to training on Monday.
– Elsewhere, Lionel Messi nets a hat-trick against Ajax, but there was also a magnificent game from Victor Valdes who saves a penalty.
– ‘Return of the great Atleti'; Atletico Madrid defeat Zenit with goals from Miranda, Arda and Leo Bapistao.
– ‘Messi show'; Barcelona were not at their best and Valdes stopped everything, including a penalty.
– However, the big story of the night was Lionel Messi answering to Cristiano Ronaldo with a hat-trick of his own against Ajax at the Camp Nou on Wednesday night.
– Milan overcame Celtic 2-0 in the other game in Barca’s group, while Atletico Madrid were also great as they beat Zenit 3-1 at the Calderon.
– Europa League sees Valencia, Sevilla and Betis all looking for positive start on Thursday night.