World boxing champion Manny Pacquiao has announced he wants to retire from the sport and run for vice president of the Philippines in five years’ time, local media reported Friday.
“In 2016, I plan to run for vice president. By that time there will be no more boxing for me,” the 32-year-old said in an interview with Manila’s GMA television from Mexico.
The high-school dropout, who is often cited as the world’s best “pound-for-pound” fighter, is already a member of the Philippine parliament and has long been touted as a potential leader of his country.
But political observers immediately pointed out it was constitutionally impossible for him to run for vice president in 2016.
He will be just 37 years old when the May 2016 elections are held, below the minimum age requirement of 40 set in the country’s constitution.
“If the constitution has not been amended by then he might have a problem,” James Jimenez, spokesman for the government Commission on Elections, told AFP.
“But you can’t tell someone not to dream.”
Pacquiao won a seat in the Philippine House of Representatives in May last year, representing the impoverished southern province of Sarangani.
GMA network said it interviewed Pacquiao in Mexico, where he is promoting his World Boxing Organisation welterweight title bout against Mexico’s Manuel Marquez in Las Vegas on November 12.
Pacquiao has compiled a 53-3 win-loss record with two draws on his way to 10 world titles in an unprecedented eight weight divisions.
Pacquiao is set to take on Juan Manuel Marquez at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on November 12th.