Speculation that Melo is waiting on James continues.
New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony has yet to make a decision on his future despite reports emerging on Wednesday that he had decided to re-sign with the Knicks.
Anthony’s agent, Leon Rose, told ESPN that the 30-year-old “hasn’t made a decision yet” while reports that Knicks coach Derek Fisher was told by the player himself that he would be re-signing with the organisation were dismissed.
It is also speculated that Anthony is waiting on LeBron James’ decision in order to leave open the possibility of joining his long-time friend in Miami with the Heat.
However, there are numerous knock-on effects concerning James’ decision, including the fact that Chris Bosh will likely turn down the Houston Rockets in order to stay with his team-mate in Miami, which would ensure that the Heat don’t have the necessary cap space to try and sign Anthony.
Should Bosh still decide to take the max offer from the Rockets, that would then free up space for Melo and the Heat could well decide to link him up with James and Dwyane Wade to create a new Big Three.
Nevertheless, that scenario is deemed very unlikely at this stage, particularly considering that the Cleveland Cavaliers are making a strong case for James to return ahead of next season.
The Knicks can offer Anthony a five-year maximum deal worth $129m, but after holding meetings with the Chicago Bulls, Rockets, Dallas Mavericks and Los Angeles Lakers, his future is up in the air.
The Bulls were thought to be the favourites to land him initially given their ability to offer him an immediate opportunity of winning an NBA championship by pairing him with the likes of Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah.
However, Chicago are at a disadvantage financially unless they agree a sign-and-trade deal with the Knicks involving Carlos Boozer, and that is highly unlikely which means that they will be restricted to offering him a deal around $16m per year.
Meanwhile, the Rockets and Mavericks appear to be focusing their attention elsewhere given the lack of positive feedback that they have received since hosting Anthony, leaving the Lakers as the front-runners to snare him away from New York.
The Lakers’ max offer is $96m over four years, and they have previously examined the possibility of bringing both Anthony and James in together this summer alongside Pau Gasol who they are in discussions with about re-signing.
However, that is unlikely to happen too and the general consensus is that Anthony will re-sign with the Knicks eventually which will allow him to make the most money over the next five years whilst giving team president Phil Jackson the opportunity to build around him and construct a competitive roster over the next year or so.