Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho will not be signing Everton defender John Stones, says Toffees manager Roberto Martinez.
Martinez was speaking after his side’s draw with Tottenham on Saturday, as he praised Stones for his performance and for not letting the club down.
The Premier League champions have seen a £38m bid rejected for the 21-year-old, and Martinez doesn’t envisage the talented youngster leaving Goodison Park any time soon.
“We have our own ambitions and project, and John is a big part of that. He showed a really strong face against Tottenham,” he told Sky Sports.
“Absolutely he accepts he is an Everton player. We want to be a winning team and John is a big part of that. John has never let the fans or the club down and has played with incredible discipline.”
Stones handed in a transfer request last week which certainly irked the Everton faithful, but it didn’t seem to affect his performance on Saturday.
With Mourinho suggesting this weekend that his work in the transfer market is done, it appears as though Stones will be staying on Merseyside until January at least as the Portuguese tactician is left frustrated with the inability to agree a deal.