Fully recovered from a concussion, Baylor QB Bryce Petty hopes to dominate Kansas State and earn a spot in the College Football Playoffs.
READ MORE:ACC Championship game – Florida State takes on Georgia Tech for ACC title Kansas State vs Baylor – Big XII contenders face off with share of title at stake SEC Championship game – Alabama takes on Missouri in SEC title game
It seems like there’s a disconnect in the College Football Playoff selections. Even though #6 Baylor beat #3 TCU on the road months ago, TCU got ranked ahead of the Bears, giving TCU an almost sure-fire shot at the CFP if they beat lowly Iowa State this week. The big struggle to put Baylor over the top is obviously the Big XII conference’s lack of a title game, which would most likely have pitted Baylor versus TCU in a rematch, but instead Baylor has to settle for #9 Kansas State – no slouch, but certainly no TCU (besides, TCU already beat them).
For Baylor to jump TCU in the playoffs two out of three things must happen:
a) Baylor must dominate Kansas State – this is a must
b) TCU must either lose or barely beat Iowa State
c) One of the top 5 teams must lose this weekend.
If Baylor can’t achieve two or three of those things, they have no chance.
Here are the five best games to watch on Championship Weekend:
5. Mountain West Championship (Fresno State vs. #22 Boise State) – If you enjoy high-scoring games then this is one for you. The defending Mountain West Champion Fresno State takes on the upstart Boise State, a team that’s already beaten them once this season, and both of them bring high-octane offenses and gritty defense with them.
4. SEC Championship (#1 Alabama vs. #16 Missouri) – Missouri will likely put up a tough fight, but it will ultimately prove futile. No, this game is great to see not because of the competitiveness, but just for the chance to see how effective the Sims-Cooper passing combination is as they prepare themselves for the College Football playoffs
3. #6 Baylor vs. #9 Kansas State – Not a title game, but it might as well be for the two teams as both look to clinch a piece of the Big XII championship. A win for Baylor might push them over TCU and into the College Football Playoffs. Add in the fact that Baylor QB Bryce Petty is one of the most exciting QBs in football and you have a formula for a great game between two top 10 teams.
2. Big Ten Championship (#5 Ohio State vs. #13 Wisconsin) – With QB J.T. Barrett out for this game, Wisconsin now has a chance to actually win the Big Ten title instead of just flat-lining behind Ohio State’s passing attack. If RB Melvin Gordon gets going against this tough Ohio State defense, this could actually be an extremely exciting Big Ten title game.
1. ACC Championship (#3 Florida State vs. #11 Georgia Tech) – There isn’t a more exciting team in college football than the Florida State Seminoles. Every single week is a clinic on how to play average or bad football for 2-3 quarters before turning it on in the 4th quarter and smoking the competition. We’re either going to see FSU QB Jameis Winston’s first loss as a starter, or yet another rabbit out of the hat on the way to the College Football Playoffs.