World sports’ top court CAS has offered to hear from FC Sion and UEFA on November 24 about their dispute over the exclusion of the Swiss team from the Europa League.
“The date of the hearing has been set for 24 November, subject to the two parties confirming their availability,” said European football’s governing body.
FC Sion were thrown out of the tournament on September 2 after being found guilty of fielding ineligible players, with Scottish club Celtic handed their place in the group stages despite losing the play-offs 3-1 on aggregate.
The Swiss side had taken the case to several regional courts which found in its favour.
UEFA has so far not complied with the Swiss court ruling but said it would comply with a ruling by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
“If the CAS should decide in favour of FC Sion on 24 November, the possibilities examined by UEFA for reinstating FC Sion in the UEFA Europa League are realistic,” it said.
UEFA had earlier said that it has looked at several options if it were ordered to reinstate Sion in the Europa League.
Under one scenario, UEFA suggested that all previous games in Group 1 of the league be annulled and that a new set of games be played by five teams, including the Celtic tie.
However, it stressed that other clubs would only accept Sion’s inclusion if ordered by CAS.