Miguel Cotto has suggested that a showdown with Canelo Alvarez is the most likely bout for him later this year, with Gennady Golovkin possible in 2016.
Cotto vs Geale highlights: (Video) Cotto seals fourth round TKO win.
De La Hoya would make comeback vs Golovkin: (Video) Golden Boy says he would fight GGG.
Joshua eyes Wilder title shot: AJ wants WBC route.
Cotto improved to 40-4 (33 KOs) with his win over Daniel Geale at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Saturday night, with the Puerto Rican claiming a fourth round stoppage over the Australian.
With Canelo impressing with his win over James Kirkland last month, the pair have been on a collision course for some time and talk has been building over a Puerto Rican-Mexican clash later this year.
After taking care of business this weekend, Cotto was open to the Alvarez bout and insisted that if schedules work and both men keeping winning, then he has no issue looking at the Golovkin fight next year too.
“I’ve had 44 fights in my career and Canelo is just going to be another one, the next chapter in my career,” Cotto told the media after his win, according to Boxing Scene.
“I want the fight, people want the fight, everyone wants the fight…let’s do it. But, before that I want to spend time with my family. I want to enjoy time with them and then I’ll be back in LA training for Canelo.”
Cotto will have to potentially consider the fact that Golovkin is his mandatory challenger for the WBC strap, but it is expected that he won’t have any issues in postponing that meeting for the time being to focus on the Alvarez clash first.
Nevertheless, it is an exciting time in the middleweight division as these rivalries are likely to be settled in the coming year and that should result in some fantastic nights of boxing for fans with significant revenue expected to be generated.