Brook still wants showdown with Khan next summer…
Brook says Khan not even best in Britain: IBF champ wants domestic dust-up next year.
Brook feared for life in knife attack: Brook re-lives trauma of incident on holiday.
Brook in hospital after being stabbed: (Image) Brook recovering after knife attack.
IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook doesn’t believe that British rival Amir Khan has done enough to earn a shot at Floyd Mayweather next year.
Brook was in the Sky Sports studio on Saturday night as Khan defeated Devon Alexander at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in a polished and impressive performance over 12 rounds.
The British star won on a unanimous points decision, and as expected after the fight he called out Mayweather again as he continues to push for a clash with the unbeaten American next year.
However, after the 37-year-old called out Manny Pacquiao on Friday night, it is even more unlikely that Khan will get his shot, but Brook is of the opinion that his domestic rival doesn’t even deserve one in the first place.
“It was a great performance tonight but I still don’t think he deserves that fight,” Brook told Sky Sports.
“I’ve had to go the hard way to force a world tile chance and become a mandatory, but he has had two fights at welterweight and is trying to jump the queue.
“We all want the big fight but the fact is I want to hurt him.”
Brook is set to return to the ring in March next year to defend his IBF title, and he revealed that it will likely be against a mandatory challenger.
Despite insisting that Khan didn’t deserve the Mayweather fight, he did give him credit for his performance on the night and said that he was “just too quick, too fast and too smart” for Alexander.
It remains to be seen what happens with Mayweather next year, but what is clear is that Brook wants a shot at Khan and as promoter Eddie Hearn has previously hinted, it could result in another huge night of boxing at Wembley next summer.