Crolla has had 10-12 stitches in head wound and will have operation on broken foot…
Crolla in hospital after burglar attack: “Million Dollar” will have title fight postponed.
Trainer Joe Gallagher has revealed that Anthony Crolla knows he could have died if the concrete slab he was hit with by a burglar had hit him differently on his head.
The 28-year-old is currently in a stable condition at Royal Oldham Hospital and he will undergo an operation on his foot which was broken in an attack which left him with a wound to his head after being hit with a concrete slab.
Crolla’s WBA world title fight on January 23 against Richar Abril in Manchester has been postponed, but the more immediate concern is that he makes a full recovery from his injuries.
“I told him if that slab of concrete had hit him differently on his head he could be dead. He told me he knows that and he is just going to get on with it,” Gallagher told Manchester Evening News.
“He understands obviously that his world title fight in front of his home fans is over for the time being. I have told him not to worry about that and said he will bounce back.”
The WBO intercontinental lightweight champion has had 10-12 stitches in the head wound which has been described as a “dead straight scar across his forehead” and he is waiting on results of a scan.
Meanwhile, Gallagher also provided further details on the events that led up to the injuries that Crolla sustained in the attack.
“They are great neighbours and he obviously would do something about it. He went round and saw the patio door open and thought they must be after Christmas presents.
“A window had been smashed. He didn’t go in but just shouted and then two of them came rushing out.
“It’s no surprise he got one of them because he is a super fit lad and a champion boxer. As he was holding one of them, the other one grabbed a concrete slab which must had come off one of the walls he had jumped over and chucked it at him.”
Crolla was able to stagger back to his house and alert girlfriend Fran Sanderson who dialled 999 as paramedics arrived at the scene and rushed the Manchester-born fighter to hospital.