Groves could be forced to wait another six months or more for title shot…
DeGale says Groves is an idiot: (Video) Chunky confirms title shot on April 25.
Groves tells Hearn to make him sensible offer for DeGale rematch: Groves not interested in 50/50 split.
Groves says first Dirrell then DeGale: Brit ready to wait it out for WBC title shot.
Promoter Kalle Sauerland has confirmed that WBC super-middleweight champion Anthony Dirrell has received a four-month extension for a voluntary defence.
The WBC voted in favour of handing Dirrell the four month extension for a voluntary defence, but Sauerland added that no opponent or explanation has been given yet.
Dirrell has made it clear in recent months that he has no desire to fight Groves given that the Brit was stopped twice by Carl Froch and therefore doesn’t deserve a chance at his title.
Having defeated Sakio Bika for the WBC strap back in August, the American hasn’t been back in the ring since and there is no suggestion over when his voluntary defence will take place yet.
Groves has been adamant throughout the process that he would force Dirrell to take the fight after he established himself as the mandatory challenger for the belt with his win over Christopher Rebrasse last year.
Nevertheless, the ‘Saint’ has looked far from impressive in his last two outings and so the appeal is evidently not there for Dirrell to fight him just yet as he looks to make a defence of his title in the coming months with Groves now set to have to wait it out for six months or more depending on when Dirrell announces his next bout.
Sauerland has insisted that they will appeal the decision and has begun the process of getting fans involved on social media websites to air their frustration with the vote.
Meanwhile, the decision could give stronger grounds for Groves to start considering a rematch with James DeGale for the IBF title on April 25.
Andre Dirrell and Gilberto Ramirez remain ahead of him in the pecking order to face DeGale for the belt, but if they were to decide against taking the fight then Groves would be the next in line.
However, even if that stage is reached, it is understood that Groves has made some outlandish demands to promoter Eddie Hearn while the pair were also involved in a Twitter exchange last week which showed a lot of bitterness between them.
Groves would have to accept a 50/50 purse split given that the fight is for a vacant belt, but if he is not interested then his title dream will have to be put on hold for a lot longer.
— Kalle+NisseSauerland (@SauerlandBros) February 6, 2015