Just days before putting his WWE Championship on the line at Wrestlemania XXXI, The Beast Incarnate signed a new deal with WWE.
WWE World Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar has signed a new deal with the WWE and said that his career as a mixed martial arts fighter is effectively over.
In an interview with ESPN, Lesnar revealed that although he had been training for a possible return to mixed martial arts, he ultimately chose to stay with professional wrestling and said he has no intentions of going back to MMA – in which he had a very successful run from 2008 until 2011 before a series of losses and injuries put his fighting career on hold.
“I’ve been training to get back into the Octagon,” he said. “I felt physically great, but something lacked mentally and that’s not good.”
“I talked to Dana (White), I talked to Lorenzo (Fertitta), Vince (McMahon), my wife, my friends, I had many sleepless nights and at the end of the day, I was born to be an entertainer and I have fun doing it.
“I’m officially closing the door on the sport of MMA. I signed last night with the WWE. We came to a conclusion last night. The offer on the table I couldn’t refuse. I think it’s fair to the fans, and I want to be fair to the fans to know that on Sunday, I’m going to hold that damn belt. It was public knowledge (that his contract was coming due and he was considering MMA) and it was out there as to, What is Brock going to do?”
Lesnar won the WWE World Heavyweight Championship from John Cena at Summerslam in August of 2014 and retained the title against Cena and Seth Rollins. He will defend the title against 2015 Royal Rumble winner Roman Reigns at Wrestlemania XXXI in what was expected by many to be his last match before a much-anticipated departure from WWE and return to UFC.