Head-coach has told president Florentino Perez he does not need Spurs’ superstar Bale.
Real Madrid head-coach Carlo Ancelotti has told president Florentino Perez that Tottenham’s Gareth Bale is not integral to his plans this season, reports the Daily Telegraph.
Ancelotti is understood to have made the comments in a meeting with Perez at the end of the club’s US tour, and they come as public opinion in the Spanish capital turns against a world-record move for the Spurs forward.
The Italian’s private remarks follow Cristiano Ronaldo’s very public refusal to endorse a move for Bale, while supporters have questioned the wisdom of paying any more than €70m (£60m) for the Wales international.
Last week, the Daily Mirror alleged that the Real dressing room were not happy at the prospect of another expensive addition and Ancelotti’s feelings would appear to mark a clear change in rhetoric from Los Blancos.
After Real’s last game against Inter Milan in St Louis, the Madrid head-coach was asked about Bale. He replied: “Why talk about Bale when Jese [Rodríguez] and [Alvaro] Morata have both played so well. They are young but incredibly talented.”
The response was in contrast to Ancelotti’s comments earlier on tour, when he claimed the club were negotiating with Spurs for the 24-year-old, who bagged 21 Premier League goals last season.
Reports differ as to whether Perez met Daniel Levy in Miami, where the Spurs chairman has a property, on Tuesday last week but it is understood Levy wants €120m (£100m) plus either Morata or Jese.
Real are thought to have had a €100m bid rebuffed by Spurs and do not want to lose either of the young Spaniards, while it is thought Levy has doubts as to whether Real can afford to sign Bale.