Playmaker will get more chances if good form continues, says head-coach.
Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas has urged midfielder Tom Huddlestone not to quit the club in search of more first-team football.
Huddletsone started his first league game since November in the 2-2 draw with Wigan on Saturday and his free-kick led to the equaliser in the dying seconds.
The midfielder admitted last week that he could leave Spurs at the end of the season in the quest for more first team football but Villas-Boas says the 26-year-old will get more chances if he keeps up his current levels of performance.
“It is difficult [for him] to break into the team,” the Tottenham boss told FourFourTwo. “But with performances like this he is able to get more chances, definitely.”
Huddlestone has two years remaining on his current deal at White Hart Lane but Villas-Boas acknowledged his desire to play more football.
“The words are understandable from a player who has not been involved as much as he wanted,” the Portuguese continued.
Huddlestone is competing with the likes of Sandro, Moussa Dembele, Scott Parker and Jake Livermore for a place in the Spurs team but with Dembele set to join Sandro on the sidelines, the former Derby County star is likely to keep his place in the side for Saturday’s crucial clash with Southampton.
“I think we have seen lots of players in midfield this season raise a level. From the moment Sandro got injured, he was the number-one recoverer of the ball and Mousa was also in the top 10.
“So it was very difficult for him to get into the team and when the chance happened it opened up for Scotty [Parker].”