22 year-old trained with the team on Wednesday.
Toronto FC are closing in on the signing of Argentine Maximiliano Urruti, the second time the club have been close to a deal with the striker. The Canadian club had been close to signing the 22 year-old in the spring, but the deal fell through over issues with his previous club, Newell’s Old Boys. Urruti recently left the Argentine Pimera División side over non-payment of wages, and Toronto coach Ryan Nelsen points to these issues as the hold up on the signing process.
“His club is going through some issues and there are some legal issues that the club is kind of dealing with,” Nelsen said. “So that’s why it has to go through a third party kind of thing, which is what has made it a wee bit more difficult and why it has been held up for some long.”
“I think we were hoping he could play about six months ago,” Nelsen told MLSsoccer.com. “Hopefully he will be able to play pretty soon. I was told about six months ago that a deal was done, so I can’t say anything at the moment because things do happen. But I would like to say that it is pretty close to being done.”
If the deal goes through, Urruti will become the second Argentine on Toronto FC’s books, joining defensive midfielder Matias Laba. Urruti came through the ranks at Newell’s Old Boys and made 57 appearances for their senior team, scoring 12 goals.