Ten things Gunners fans should know about Sokratis Papastathopoulos.
With Arsenal seemingly set to complete a move for Borussia Dortmund defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos this weekend, it occurred to us that there may be a lot of things that the club’s fans still don’t know about the towering Greek international.
Read More Arsenal FC News
With that in mind, below are ten facts that fans may not be aware of concerning their potential new signing.
10. Sokratis joined Borussia Dortmund in 2013 on a five-year deal worth around £1.6m per year (around £30k per week) when he moved from Werder Bremen, whom he had only signed for permanently the year before after spending a season on loan there.
9. Signed by Dortmund on the basis that he could play in a variety of positions, which is a trait Arsene Wenger looks for in any players he signs, and the Greek star certainly fits the bill as he is capable of playing as both a centre-back and a right-back.
8. Sokratis poses a threat in front of goal, too, having scored a total of nine goals in his career with five of them coming in the Bundesliga.
7. Born in Kalamata, Greece, the 26-year-old has the name ‘Sokratis’ on the back of his shirt because ‘Papastathopoulos’ is too long to fit. Sometimes also goes by the name ‘Papa’.
6. ‘Papa’ has 51 caps for Greece, and has represented them at Under-17, U19, and U21 level.