Pulis wants striker to stay at Stoke.
Stoke boss Tony Pulis wants ex-England striker Michael Owen to stay at the Britannia Stadium for the rest of the season, despite reports linking the veteran striker with a move to Australia.
The 33-year-old former Liverpool and Real Madrid forward has made just four substitute appearances for the Potters since joining from Manchester United in pre-season.
Owen had been linked with a January transfer window move to Perth Glory but the Australian A League club’s manager said Tuesday they were looking for younger players.
Pulis, speaking Thursday about Owen’s reported movements, said: “Is it true, is it not true? You just don’t know.
“I read a story yesterday (Wednesday) in the papers that (Manchester United striker) Danny Welbeck was available,” added Pulis ahead of Stoke’s league match against European champions Chelsea this weekend.
“Ask (United manager) Sir Alex Ferguson what he thinks about that. You have to deal with it.
“Michael has got a contract until the end of the season and as far as I’m concerned, he has not come in and said he wants to change it.
“We haven’t pulled Michael in and said we want to change that. So Michael will be part of the football club hopefully until the end of the season.”
Pulis added: “There is loads of stuff going on — it is the silly season.
“So we will let the silly season run and we will decide what is right for the football club and the players.
“We always take everything into consideration at this football club, and if it right for the players and the football club, we will do business. If not, then we’ll get on with things.”
Download the free fanatix app now for iPhone: Sport news, social features and more!
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr: