Gunners could now miss out on their first-choice target.
Arsenal’s hopes of signing experienced Queens Park Rangers goalkeeper Julio Cesar have suffered a blow after it emerged that Serie A giants AS Roma have now entered the race for the shot stopper, says Goal.com.
The Brazil international has only been at Loftus Road for just the past season, having origiinally signed for the west London club from Inter Milan last August on a four-year deal.
However, with QPR suffering relegation to the Championship in the previous campaign, the club are now desperate to offload the 33-year-old and his £80,000-per-week contract from their wage bill as soon as possible.
And it had been expected that Cesar would make the short trip across the capital and sign for the Gunners when the summer transfer window reopens on July 1, but with Arsenal head coach Arsene Wenger said to currently be holding off on making a move in order to get his man at as cheap a price as possible, the Romans have now moved ahead of the north London club in the race to land the coveted keeper.