Victory over Real Madrid is triumph for football over money.
All the latest headlines from the newspapers in Spain as Atletico Madrid clinch a famous win over city rivals Real Madrid.
– ‘The best Atleti in history’; Real Madrid have yet to find their stride while it was a great game from Los Colchoneros. They outdid their city rivals with intensity, pressure and football.
– For the first time in their history they have won seven of their first seven La Liga games.
– In contrast, a weak display from Los Blancos who now fall five points off the pace as there were the first jeers for coach Carlo Ancelotti from the fans.
– Ancelotti: “We lacked any concentration and even less attitude”.
– Lionel Messi scores but goes off injured and is expected to miss the next two games.
– ‘Millions 0, Football 1’. Atletico superior and took the game even though they missed lots of chances proving that they can compete despite not spending as much as their illustrious rivals.
– The Bernabeu was angered that Ancelotti took off Isco instead of Benzema, but the Italian tactician explains that he only took off the Spaniard because the possibility to score lied with the strikers.
– Atleti coach Diego Simeone: “The players knew that they had a mission: to win”.
– ‘5 clear of Real Madrid’; Barcelona achieved their best start ever to a La Liga season with their seventh straight win.
– Meanwhile, Madrid could not overcome Atleti who let themselves down.
– Messi breaks the record but gets injured and he is expected to miss the next two games.
– Espanyol back on track after Getafe.