The Buccaneers’ 2-14 record in 2014 was the worst in the league – and the team was almost unwatchable at times.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM Jason Licht told the media on Wednesday that the team plans to stay put at No. 1 overall in the 2015 draft since they have a favorite player for the pick.
In an appearance on Around the NFL, Licht – now in his second year with Tampa Bay – said the team was leaning towards keeping the pick and that they have a favorite player that they would like to draft.
Bucs GM Jason Licht: “All options are on the table, including trading the (top) pick. We’re leaning on using it right now.”
— CollegeFootball 24/7 (@NFL_CFB) February 18, 2015
The Buccaneers were awarded the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft after finishing with an NFL-worst 2-14 record in 2014. After releasing former starting QB Josh McCown last week, the Buccaneers are considered highly likely to draft their QB of the future.
The team is expected to choose between QB prospects Jameis Winston (FSU) and Marcus Mariota (Oregon), both of whom won the Heisman Trophy and played against each other in the 2015 Rose Bowl.
Bucs GM Jason Licht says Bucs have a favorite between Mariota and Winston. pic.twitter.com/Ut5qd199t2
— Around The NFL (@AroundTheNFL) February 18, 2015
Winston in recent weeks has become the consensus No. 1 overall pick by numerous draft experts such as Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr., but he does come with some baggage, as he was accused of sexual assault two years ago and was suspended for a game in 2014 for inappropriate behavior in school.
Mariota, on the other hand, has been a model citizen for his entire life but struggled mightily in the 2015 National Championship game against the Ohio State Buckeyes in a 42-20 loss.