Trump not interested in moving the franchise elsewhere.
New York City businessman and billionaire Donald Trump has reiterated his commitment to buying the Buffalo Bills and keeping them in western New York.
“I’m going to give it a heavy shot,” Trump said on Monday from his office in Manhattan. “I would love to do it, and if I can do it, I’m keeping it in Buffalo,” Trump said, according to the Buffalo News.
Multiple sources have confirmed that Trump has already had two conversations with Bills president and CEO Russ Brandon over the progression of takeover talks, while the billionaire revealed earlier this month that he was approached by a group looking to purchase the Bills.
After the death of longtime owner Ralph Wilson, there are fears that Buffalo could lose their NFL franchise, but it appears as though Trump is committed to keeping the Bills where they are which would dismiss speculation that the NFL could move them to either Los Angeles or Toronto.
In addition, there was further talk of the NFL using the situation as a possibility of creating a franchise in the UK, but it appears as though Trump has his own plans and doesn’t intend on seeing the organisation move.
“I live in New York, and it’s easier for me to go to Buffalo than any other place,” Trump said. “Where am I going to move it, some place on the other side of the country where I have to travel for five hours?”
Trump believes his history with the NFL would play no role in a potential purchase of the Bills, after he bought the New Jersey Generals back in 1983 and the move was largely responsible for the USFL switching from a spring schedule into direction competition with the NFL in autumn.
He feels as though he gained respect if anything from the situation from NFL owners, and doesn’t fear a backlash as a result.
Since the death of Wilson in late March, speculation continues to be rife about the Bills’ future in Buffalo, and fans will be hoping that Trump can continue to progress with talks and keep them where they are.