Tillman had been allowed to test free agency this week.
The Chicago Bears have agreed terms on a one-year deal with two-time Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Tillman, as announced by the team on Friday.
Tillman’s deal is said to be worth around $3.5m, and it comes after the Bears had initially allowed him to test the free agency market.
The 33-year-old left Tampa Bay without a contract on Thursday, after it had been initially thought that he would be keen on a reunion with former coach Lovie Smith.
However, the Buccaneers opted to instead sign Alterrraun Verner to a four-year deal prior to releasing veteran cornerback Darrelle Revis earlier this week.
“Charles is one of the NFL’s great players and a true leader on and off the field and we’re happy he will be staying in Chicago,” general manager Phil Emery said, as reported by ESPN.
“He remains the best in our game at forcing turnovers and always has brought a tough, physical presence to our secondary. Charles also has a special connection to the people and community across Chicago and we’re excited for that to continue.”
Tillman earned a total of $8,001,575 from the Bears in 2013, with reports suggesting that the potential of finishing his career in Chicago and not having to uproot his family both played significant parts in his decision to take less money and stay.
Having won the 2013 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year award, Tillman started just eight games last season after being placed on the injured reserve list with torn triceps.
Nevertheless, he remains one of the greatest defensive backs in Bears history as he owns club records for interception return yards and interception return touchdowns as well as defensive return touchdowns.
The Bears have now ensured that both starting cornerbacks from last year will return next season after securing Tim Jennings’ future with a four year deal worth $22.4m.