Pardew blames defeat to Manchester City on Arsenal’s disrespectful Cabaye bid…
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is desperately unhappy with Arsenal for their £10m Yohan Cabaye bid, so close to his side’s opening game of the Premier League season, reports BBC Sport.
Arsenal lodged the £10m offer for the French midfielder just hours before Newcastle travelled to Manchester City, where last season’s Premier League runners-up duly battered them 4-0 thanks to goals Sergio Aguero, David Silva, Yaya Toure and Samir Nasri.
Pardew believes the timing of the bid was completely disrespectful, and had a huge impact on his side’s preparation.
“You prepare for three days with a player of that talent and that was taken away from us,” said the Newcastle boss.
“It had a huge bearing on the result as well.”
“Why [Arsenal] couldn’t do us the respect and the honour of waiting until Tuesday evening is beyond me,” added Pardew
“It is pretty obvious that I am upset about it.”
Arsenal did nothing to break any rules, but irritating Newcastle will do their chances of signing the player no good whatsoever. Earlier in the window, their £40m plus £1 offer for Luis Suarez infuriated Liverpool, who in turn said that they would refuse to sell the Uruguayan to the Gunners.
Newcastle will be dammed to lose Cabaye anyway, and certainly not for the £10m Arsenal offered. Pardew would expect at least double that, and probably something closer to £30m.
Both clubs are becoming increasingly anxious to bring players in before the end of the month, with French forwards Yayo Sanogo and Loic Remy the only arrivals so far at the Emirates and St. James’ Park respectively.
Arsenal are expected to return with an improved second bid for Cabaye in the coming days.