Carmelo dogged by knee injury all season…
Carmelo backs Fisher: Anthony believes Knicks would have crumbled without him.
Carmelo advised to take time off: Knicks star suffering with knee injury.
Carmelo says no what ifs facing Bulls: Anthony committed to Knicks.
New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony has insisted that he will continue to play through knee pain unless it becomes intolerable.
The Knicks have endured a torrid season so far this year, losing nine in a row most recently and 19 of their previous 20 games to sit with a 5-29 record near the bottom of the Eastern Conference.
Anthony signed a five-year deal worth $124m this past summer as he turned down the opportunity to join the Chicago Bulls, but it has been a difficult transitional period for all concerned in New York so far this year.
The situation hasn’t been helped by the fact that the 30-year-old has been dogged with a knee problem all season, and there have reportedly been calls from people close to him to either take time off or shut it down for the season.
However, Anthony is clearly in no mood to stop playing and he reiterated his desire to continue to play through the pain barrier this week.
“It’s tough. Some days you’re able to do some things, some days you’re not,” Anthony told reporters.
“Some days it’s tough to even run around and cut and jump. And then other days I come in and I don’t really feel it. I’m playing because I love to play and I want to play. I know what I can tolerate and what I can’t tolerate. The games I feel like I can’t tolerate it, I’m not going to play.”
Anthony is currently being voted in as a starter for the Eastern Conference team for the All-Star Game which will be played on February 15 at Madison Square Garden.
As a result, the Knicks star will be desperate to play in that game but there may be a re-consultation between the medical team and coaching staff after the event to discuss the point in pushing him down the stretch of the regular season.