Anthony will be a game-time decision in London…
Jackson says Carmelo trying to avoid surgery: Anthony has missed last six games.
Carmelo has faith in Jackson’s Knicks plans: Knicks star confident of success next year.
Carmelo not shutting it down: Anthony will play through the pain.
New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony has conceded that he will eventually have to have surgery on his injured knee as he continues to struggle with the problem.
The 30-year-old has missed the past six games due to soreness in his left knee but he hopes to return in time for the Knicks’ game against the Milwaukee Bucks in London on Thursday night.
Anthony has been listed as a game-time decision but he will be eager to feature despite suffering from the soreness since the second game of the season.
“I’m pretty sure at some point that’s going to be my only option,” Anthony said after the team’s afternoon practice.
“But until that time I can’t sit out. … I feel like if I can go out there and play some more and continue to play, then I’m going to do that. I’m pretty sure there will come a time where I have to make that decision to sit out and take the proper procedure and get what I need to be done.”
Knicks president Phil Jackson revealed last week that it was important to Anthony to play in both London and the All-Star Game on February 15 at Madison Square Garden.
However, it has been a disastrous season for the Knicks who are currently 5-35 for the season and are on a franchise-record 15-game losing streak as well as losing 25 of their past 26 games.
As a result, there has been speculation that the Knicks have been encouraging Anthony to shut it down for the season in order to avoid any long-term problems after he signed a new five-year deal worth $124m last summer. With little left to play for and Jackson seemingly rebuilding after trading various players, Anthony may well undergo surgery after the All-Star break.