Talented youngster expected to sign contract extension.
Napoli starlet Lorenzo Insigne has turned down the chance to join Sunderland, as he intends on proving himself at his home-town club.
The 22-year-old arrived in Rome on Monday morning after being called up by Cesare Prandelli for Italy’s friendly clash with Argentina.
However, much has been said about his future this week with speculation suggesting that he was looking for improved terms on his current deal with the club.
While owner Aurelio De Laurentiis has reportedly promised to make adjustments ahead of the new season as he sees the youngster as becoming the “Francesco Totti of Naples”, Insigne’s agent, Fabio Andreotti, has told Radio Kiss Kiss that his client will not be leaving Naples this summer.
“Sunderland? There was interest from the club and that was confirmed by [Riccardo] Bigon, but both the club and the player said they want to continue together,” he said as quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport.
It has been noted previously that Naples-born Insigne has always intended to spend his entire career with the club, and impressed on a loan spell with Pescara the season before last.
Former Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri used him sparingly last season, leading to question marks over whether or not he could break into the first-team and receive regular playing time.
However, the arrival of Rafa Benitez this summer appears to have given him a fresh start to make his mark, and he revealed last week that he has three hopes for the year; a new contract, a strong season with Napoli and a call-up to the national squad for the World Cup.
While the first of those objectives could be agreed later this week, Insigne will be desperate to impress despite already being a firm fans favourite.