Mamba had been predicted to be ruled out for between six to nine months.
Los Angeles Lakers legend Kobe Bryant says he has “shattered the recovery timetable” as reports suggest he could be back for training camp.
The 34-year-old suffered a ruptured Achilles back in April, as the Lakers successfully managed to make the Western Conference play-offs at the end of last season.
While they were unable to make it past the first round, falling to a 4-0 series defeat to the San Antonio Spurs, their long-term concern surrounded Bryant.
Dwight Howard has since left the franchise to join the Houston Rockets, but Lakers fans were given a huge boost on Monday when Bryant revealed that he has “shattered the recovery timetable”.
“The surgical procedure was different […] and because of that the recovery has been different,” Bryant said during his tour of China as reported by NBA.com.
“The normal timetable for recovery from an Achilles, we’ve shattered that. Three-and-a-half months I can already walk just fine, I’m lifting weights with the Achilles just fine and that’s different. So we don’t know what that timetable is going to be. It’s kind of new territory for us all.”’
The initial prognosis suggested that Bryant would be ruled out for between six-to-nine months, but with this latest report suggesting he may be back in time for training camp, it would undoubtedly be a miraculous recovery.
There is still an air of caution surrounding his recover though, while Bryant did suggest he has enjoyed a rapid recovery, he didn’t necessarily give a definitive date for a return to the court.
There is still a degree of disbelief that “the Mamba” could return from such a devastating injury so quickly, so it remains to be seen when he is officially ready to return to action.